Moving up to 401- 500 position in Academic Ranking of World Universities, Sharif University of Technology keeps its “the Highest Ranked Technological University” title in Iran. Sharif University of Technology is the only Iranian university which improved its ranking in 5 of 6 indicators considered by Shanghai ranking.
In ARWU system, universities are ranked by several indicators of academic or research performance, including alumni and staff winning Nobel Prizes and Fields Medals, highly cited researchers, papers published in Nature and Science, papers indexed in major citation indices, and the per capita academic performance of an institution. Here is a brief report on Sharif’s performance in Academic Ranking of World Universities in its 6 criteria.
Quality of Education indicated by Alumni of an institution winning Nobel Prizes and Fields Medals
* Numbers are calculated with different weights set according to the periods of obtaining degrees
HiCi, the number of Highly Cited Researchers selected by Clarivate Analytics
* Only the primary affiliations of Highly Cited Researchers are considered
N&S, the number of papers published in Nature and Science between 2014 and 2018
* Numbers are calculated with different weights set according to the order of author affiliation
PUB, total number of papers indexed in Science Citation Index-Expanded and Social Science Citation Index in 2018.
* Numbers are calculated with a special weight of two introduced for papers indexed in Social Science Citation Index
PCP, the weighted scores of the above five indicators divided by the number of full-time equivalent academic staff.
* Weighted Scores of Indicators Divided by the Number of Full-time Equivalent Academic Staff
In the latest annual publication of world university rankings, 13 Iranian universities are ranked in the list of top 1000 universities of the world. The same numbers for Turkey, Malaysia, Egypt, and Saudi Arabia are 12, 5, 5, and 4 respectively.